Port Moresby Diocese of the Anglican Church in Papua New Guinea is located at http://portmoresby.anglican.org
Another interesting link is the "Revising the Mihalic project" -- The following link welcomes all with an interest in Tok Pisin! http://coombs.anu.edu.au/SpecialProj/PNG/MIHALIC/Index.htm. This is a collaborative project -- you can help if you know Tok Pisin well. You are especially wanted if you are a Papua New Guinean with regional and dialectical usages of Tok Pisin, or you know trade, occupational, botanical, faunal, nautical or any other specialist subsets of the language. John Burton is coordinating the project.
Does any one have any links they want mentioned? The only rule is that links must be related to PNG.
The weather in Port Moresby is at that time of the year when the wet season is almost ready to start. The humidity has gone up sky high and the dark clouds are rolling in everyday with just a hint of rain. An occasional shower gets the hopes up for a while but no real tropical downpours have eventuated yet.
PNG -- http://weather.yahoo.com/regional/Papua_New_Guinea.html
- Alotau -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Alotau_NG_c.html
- Bougainville -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Bougainville_NG_c.html
- Daru -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Daru_NG_c.html
- Kainantu -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Kainantu_NG_c.html
- Kavieng -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Kavieng_NG_c.html
- Kimbe -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Kimbe_NG_c.html
- Lae -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Lae_NG_c.html
- Madang -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Madang_NG_c.html
- Mendi -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Mendi_NG_c.html
- Mount Hagen -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Mount_Hagen_NG_c.html
- Oksapmin -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Oksapmin_NG_c.html
- Popondetta -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Popondetta_NG_c.html
- Port Moresby -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Port_Moresby_NG_c.html
- Rabaul -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Rabaul_NG_c.html
- Vanimo -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Vanimo_NG_c.html
- Wau -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Wau_NG_c.html
- Wedau -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Wedau_NG_c.html
- Wewak -- http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/Wewak_NG_c.html
Computers and Communications
I believe that on Monday Hi Tech will make an announcement that they have purchased / taken over Computers and Communications.. About 60 percent of the existing Computers and Communications staff will be moved over to the new combined business. As announced previously in this newsletter the existing General Manager is "going pinis" in early to mid December and the future of Comp and Comms looked a bit grim for a while. -- HT PNG (formerly High Tech Industries) -- http://www.hightech.com.pg/
The existing six-mile showroom and store will be closed due to the many recent and apparently ongoing hold ups.
Internet Service Providers
- Daltron -- http://www.daltron.com.pg
- Data Nets -- http://www.online.net.pg
- Datec -- http://www.datec.net.pg
- Global Technologies -- http://www.global.net.pg
Computer Companies in PNG
- Able Computing -- http://www.able.com.pg
- Daltron -- http://www.daltron.com.pg
- Data Nets -- http://www.datanets.com.pg
- Datec -- http://www.datec.com.pg
- HT PNG (formerly High Tech Industries) -- http://www.hightech.com.pg/
- Global Technologies -- http://www.global.net.pg
- Theodist -- http://www.theodist.com.pg
Tree House Village
For those who want a truly tropical style accommodation package then I suggest the exotic Tree House Village which will be opening just in time for Christmas. The village is about 15 minute along the scenic Buluminski Highway from Kavieng in the New Ireland province. If anyone wants further details then please write to Tree House Village PO Box 351 Kavieng, PNG. Phone +675 984 2666 / facsimile +675 984 2693 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The main building (tree house) is a three story traditional building starting five metres up a huge 200 year old callophylum tree on the edge of a lagoon. The Balus Bar and the Raintree Restaurant are located on the first floor.
The PNG Government has set aside K15.5 million to start maintenance work on the Highlands Highway. It is also believed that Australian Aid (AusAID) has also committed K6 million for the project.
The former building which housed Sir Julius Chan in his time as the PM of PNG and now lying idle due to concerns about being a fire and safety risk will be renovated according to the head of the Government Office Allocation Committee. Marea Haus is little more than a shell after being stripped bare by vandals.
Manus Province has said no to any more refugees, without further consultation. Australia wants to send more refugees / asylum seekers to the tiny island.
Businesses in Lae are happy to get a spillover effect from the refugees. The city's wholesale and shipping sectors have reported an increase in trade to Manus as a result of having to supply goods to the asylum seekers.
Terrorist Attack in PNG
This one has done the rounds and I have received it a couple of times. For those who have already received a copy in one form or another I apologise for others please read.
After the tragedy in New York and Washington the questions arises: WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF PNG IS ATTACKED? Well ....if that happens, there can be no comparison. That is because in PNG they are much better prepared for these kinds of attacks.
- We do not construct exaggerated elevated high rise buildings. Crashing into a bush material squatter settlement wouldn't quite be the same.
- We all get to work late in the morning, so at 8.45am the building would still be empty.
- Firefighters and police officers will do their utmost not to get to the spot in time. They will reach there just when everything is over, as in recent fires in Port Moresby, so there will be no chance of any casualties amongst them.
- Air Niugini would surely have fouled up the terrorist's plans by being delayed again or not having a plane available for that particular flight.
- A PNGian would never let a terrorist hijack a plane. He would surely break his bones, and send him back to where he came from especially if he deprived the passengers if the cup of tea and biscuits offered on domestic flights.
- A PNGian would not have used his cell phone to call home. He would have hit the terrorist over the head with it.
- If a terrorist was living for even one year in PNG he would have been robbed and molested so many times that he would have given up and gone back home a long time ago.
- Osama Bin Laden could never afford the resulting compensation claims from the extended clan members (wantoks) of those on board. And for those familiar with PNG culture just think of the payback the planners of the attack would have to go through.
- The mail from USA, where most of the Anthrax scares seem to have come from, would be either lost in the mail or so delayed that the anthrax would be rendered useless. Of course a simple letter would never be opened by the correct person. A package the size of a bomb would get through but some pedantic customs official would have his heart set on collecting import duty on a single letter after inspecting it.
Reminds me a bit of the cartoon by Bob Browne where Father Christmas had been pulled over by Customs and Quarantine officers and was not allowed into PNG for not having a passport, flight clearance and declaring animals and presents on his arrival etc.
So you see......in PNG we are well prepared!
The appointment of Ces Iewago by the government to head the Public Officers Superannuation Fund has been declared null and void by the National Court and then an appeal by Ces has seen that reversed for now.
Ian Ling Stuckey will contest the New Ireland Regional Seat in a bid to win the governorship of the New Ireland Province. There are indications that Sir Julius Chan may be seeking a come back to politics by contesting the same seat.
The four contestants for this years Miss PNG Quest recently visited the Post Courier Newspaper The contestants are
- Miss Flame of Paradise - Tana Mairi
- Miss Milne Bay Red Cross - Cecilia John
- Miss Madang Chamber of Commerce and Industry - Cathy Angu
- Miss Courts - Olivia Wilson
and the winner should be known next weekend
The interim liquidator of Post PNG has announced the following increases in postal rates for sending mail.
- Private Letter Boxes - no increase
- Domestic Letter (50g max) - increase to 50 toea
- Domestic Pre-stamped envelope - inc to 70 toea
- International Aerogramme - inc to K1.00
- International surface and airmail rates - 20% increase on average.
- Express Mail - 20% increase on average.
- Freight - 20% increase on average.
- Registration of mail - Increase to K2.00
Flight Centre PNG, part of the world wide Flight Centre network, has found just how difficult it is to try and do business in PNG. The travel agency will be shutting up shop in early December and flying back to Australia. Flight Centre is renowned for cheap fares and usually can withstand losses for several years before becoming a marketing force in the travel industry but not to be so in the hard PNG travel industry.
Nurses at Port Moresby General Hospital have complained that they are not getting paid their leave entitlements because of the government's general financial troubles. It is expected that this will only affect the last two months of the year.
The hospital built ages ago by the Motor Vehicles Insurances Limited still sits unused near the Port Moresby General Hospital (POMGH) and the University Medical Faculty. Little is known whether it will ever be opened and used as a hospital but having a modern, new building sitting idle for so long with so many people seeking medical attention surely must rate highly as a criminal offence.
Overall the PNG Made Trade Fair appears to have been a success. The usual problems of pickpockets in the enclosed display areas has not been dealt with in fact it appeared worse this years with less visible security than other years.
Despite serious security problems Air Niugini recovered very well from the abduction and rape of some of its early morning shift staff. The matter is being treated very seriously, as it should, by management and staff.
The National AirlinEmployeessAssociationon has said that it will give management two weeks to come up with a comprehensive review of worker's security.
The prices mentioned last issue in relation to the costs of mobile phones from one of the suppliers in PNG has brought this response from the Sales Manager of another dealer in town.
Don't know if PNG Gossip should be used to advertise prices and goods but can't resist the stir when I saw CHM phone prices. Apart from shock at the Chin H meen phone prices, Pacom offer Brand New Nokia 5120 at K820 (plus VAT) to PNG Gossip readers. Includes battery and wall pack charger. Will also sell to other resellers at K780.00 or better for Qty. Mention this stir-up to get your discount price.
K. (Bill) Oakley
- Phone: +675 325 8928
- Facsimile: +675 325 5569
- Mobile: +675 693 5569
Web Site: http://www.prosec.com.pg/pacom/
Proposed aid by the Japanesgovernmentnt for Sogeri National High School has been held back due to the recent fire.
Yet another change of management at the Port Moresby City Hall has left residents wondering how long this mowillll stay in power for this time. Philip Taku has seen the Supreme Court declare the recent amendeded National Capital District Commission Act as unconditional and invalid.
The previous City Manager / Administrator has alleged that he was beaten by supporters of the Philip Takreigememe. Philip Taku claims that it was opportunisttakingng advantage of the situation.
- ANZ Bank -- http://www.anz.com.au/png
- Bank of Papua New Guinea - - http://www.bankpng.gov.pg
- Bank of South Pacific -- http://www.bsp.com.pg
- BSP Interest Rates -- http://www.bsp.com.pg/Interest_Rates/BSP_Interest_rates.htm
- Credit Corporation -- http://www.creditcorporation.com.pg
- Finance Corporation - - http://www.fincorp.com.pg
- Kina Securities -- http://www.kina.com.pg
- PNG Banking Corporation -- http://www.pngbank.com.pg
- Public Officers Superannuation Fund -- http://www.posf.com.pg
The PNG Kina continues a downward spiral just in time for Christmas.
If you really want to find out what the Kina is worth on the world market then you can find a currency converter for most world currencies located at http://www.michie.net/pnginfo/moni.html.
It has also been reported that PNG coins are in short supply at the moment.
The Commercial Banker Association has called for the removal of the "brown" bronze one toea and two toea coins from circulation as many other countries have done. The cost of producing and circulating these coins is rapidly becoming more expensive than the face value of the coins. The coins have rapidly become redundant due to rising prices and inflation.
The sale of 51 percent of the Papua New Guinea Banking Corporation should move one step closer when bids for the bank are finalised. There are expected to be three financial institutions bidding for the bank.
- ANZ Bank
- Bank of South Pacific
- Elders Finance Ltd of New Zealand
The successful bidder should be announced on the 15th of December this year.
- In Tok Pisin - emtasol
- In Motu - dokona be inai - Thanks Rex and Daera
- In Motu - bamahuta - Thanks Lynette
- In English - The end (finish) or that's all
- In Milne Bay / Wedau - ikwa (finish) - Thanks Jean
- In Milne Bay / Wedau - Lamna ava (that's all) - Thanks Betty
- In East New Britain / Kuanua - i tar - Thanks Dinah
- In Wuvulu - na peluli - Thanks Eva
- In Takuu / Mortlock) - tena koi - Thanks Sione
- In Kove / West New Britain - nei-mau (That'finisheded) (Hanns)
- In Nara / kanawamo -- Thanks Scott
- In Rigo / mangam -- Thanks Scott
- In Misima - kaioni - Thanks Lynette
- In Suau - aoini - Thanks Lynette
- In Dobu - kaioni - Thanks Lynette
If you can add to the above list then please send email to PNG-News@png-gossip.com
PNG media related sites
- Post Courier Newspaper -- http://www.postcourier.com.pg
- The National Online Newspaper-- http://www.thenational.com.pg
- Chin H Meen (Music) -- http://www.chmsupersound.com
- EM TV (Television) -- http://www.emtv.com.pg
- Hitron (Cable TV) -- http://www.hitron.com.pg
- Pacific View Multimedia http://www.pvm.com.pg
If a friend has given or sent you a copy of this newsletter and you would like to keep receiving free copies then please visit index.html for instructions on how to join the list.
Articles for this newsletter
If you think you have a PNG page worth mentioning then please send e-mail to email@example.com.
To send a message for submission to the PNG Gossip Newsletter queue please e-mail your contribution to firstname.lastname@example.org